Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Solitare Mah Jongg

So, I'm feeling a bit Mah Jongg deprived. A new card and not enough games for me.
A friend in one of my games asked if you could play solitare MJ. I thought, why not??
If you are just learning the game or need to be more familiar with the 2011 card, it could be a help to you. Of course it lacks a lot of the fun of a 'real' game, but here's what I did.
Get out your favorite rack (you only need one) and mix the tiles face down.

Pick 13 tiles at random and arrange them on your rack.

If I were passing in a real game, this would be my first pass. Instead they'll be on my right for discarding.
I've added a 1BAM, so my strategy of saving odd numbers seems to be working.
Now I've added another 7BAM, and have a pair of 1DOTS and a pair of 5DOTS. If I get and 2, 3 or 4 DOTS I'll keep them for the consecutive run, because the hard part of that hand: the pairs are in my hand. (11 222 3333 444 55 the first hand under 'consecutive run')

Now I've added an additional joker and have 2 green dragons to go with the 1BAMS.
So, you might look at the consecutive hand: FFFF 1111 2222 DD I've got the pair of dragons, but NO Flowers and no 2 bams.
What about the LIKE NUMBERS hand? Maybe...but no SOAPS for the pair of 1DOTS...and no 1CRAKS. I'm starting to like the 111 3 555 111 3 555 hand at the bottom of the 13579 section. It's concealed...but I've got some jokers. Remember: the 3s have to be natural (no joker there!) and it must be done in2 different suits.


Yikes! Another Green dragon. But I'm sticking to my 111 3 555 hand.
Could also switch to a 111 333 3333 5555 hand if those tiles come in.
So far I've gotten no 2, 3 or 4 dots for the consecutive run, so that doesn't look promising.

As I discard all of those dragons, I get more jokers and an additional 1DOT and 5DOT....so here I am. Set for MahJongg....all I need is a 3DOT. Even though it's a concealed hand, I can call for that last tile for Mah Jongg.
And here it is:

So, there you have it. Solitaire Mah Jongg. Of course there's no kibitzing, no whining over hands that didn't come in, or a great deal of satisfaction in winning, but you've had some practice with the hands on the card and learned how to move from one hand to another as the tiles dictate!

No comments:

Post a Comment